Tackling Climate Change by Design
Intelligent design is at the core of our approach to managing and reducing our carbon emissions.
Superior Vehicle Efficiency
Our custom-designed, linehaul trailers feature twin-decks and adjustable mezzanine floors that enable us to carry 35%-50% more freight per linehaul trip, leading to fuel savings and cutting our carbon emissions. Designed many years ago, some of these trailers have now covered more than 5 million kilometres delivering for our clients and for the environment.
Solar Power at Derrimut, VIC
AirRoad’s purpose-built site in Derrimut, opened in 2010 operates a state-of-the-art 20.01 Kilowatt solar power system utilising the latest German technology to deliver clean electricity. The system produces around 30,431 Kilowatt hours of electricity each year which we use in the office reducing our demands on the grid.
Measure and Manage
We are committed to reducing any negative impact on the environment of our entire national operation. In 2008, we completed our first, independent audit in which transport fuels, utilities and employee activities were recognised as having contributed to over 95% of our greenhouse gas emissions.
Since then, we have focused on each of these elements and continued to experiment with technologies and innovative designs to improve our performance particularly in relation to fuel efficiency, carrying capabilities and reduce our greenhouse gas emissions.
Some of our key initiatives include:
- Acquisition of trucks with cleaner engines adhering to Euro 4 & Euro 5 emission standards
- Acquisition of hybrid trucks for local pickups and deliveries
- Trial of hydrogen fuel cell engines in our linehaul runs from Perth to Sydney
- Intelligent lighting in warehouses
- Supply chain optimisation by using better routes
- Improving aerodynamics in our vehicles and regular maintenance of our fleet
- Implementation of waste management practices
- Increasing staff awareness
Lloyd’s List Green Transport Award
AFSMI Green Services Award (High Commendation)
ASCLA Environmental Excellence Award (High Commendation).